Office of Engagement & Community Affairs
Helping Children and Communities Thrive
What does it take for children and communities to thrive?
What we’re learning with communities:
- Racial justice, equity, & inclusion are fundamental
- Beautiful, healthy environments make a difference
- Caring families & relationships matter T
- hriving kids have strong minds & bodies
- Vibrant communities sustain thriving
- Every child needs fun & happiness
- Positive self-worth gives meaning and purpose
- Safety is a pre-requisite
What we’re learning from research:
- Economic stability keeps people on a steady path
- Access to quality education has lasting impacts
- Access to quality healthcare is critical
- Neighborhoods & environments affect health and well-being
- Social and community contexts can reduce negative impacts
What we’re doing about it:
- Supporting local K-12 education
- Meeting people’s basic needs
- Working to achieve health equity
- Bolstering civic participation
- Closing gaps in digital access & equity
- Advancing economic opportunity
How we’re doing it.
We’re mobilizing Pitt to realize a community where every child thrives.
- Shared values based on anti-racism, accountability, and humility
- Shared strengths that match Pitt resources with community assets
- Shared leadership through relationships, respect, and reciprocity
- Shared action that builds capacity and expands access
When we align our efforts, small steps add up to transformative change.